Tuesday 17 March 2009

The POWER of Advertising

The TV choices here are, to be brutally honest, cr*p. Ian and I don't watch TV much as a consequence, and as for the kids, less than an hour a day but this is what happens now when they do...

We have Cbeebies for what it's worth. Now of course in the UK this channel for any parent was the best thing since sliced bread...seasonal, educational, schedules changed weekly for variety. In India it is slightly different in that a few select programmes are broadcasted and repeated and repeated time and time again. In fact Ellie had just about given up and switched allegiance to Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network before Charlie & Lola made a thankful mercy dash to our screen.

The other 'kids' channels have a real mixture of 'foreign language to us' programmes, which to be honest I haven't had the time or inclination to decipher...but the one thing that remains constant is the high level of advertising and the little ears and minds it reaches. I suddenly became aware of this 'Power' last Saturday when Ellie announced that we should be eating some sort of cereal other than Cheerios because...'it makes you grow faster'.

Since then she's informed me that there is a soap we need to buy that will make our cheeks cleaner, softer and more beautiful. Shampoo that I need to stop my hair from falling out (I wasn't aware that it was) "Buy it Mummy, buy it". Shampoo to stop my dandruff...never realised I had it. Cream that I need to stop me growing 'older'. Thank you for your concern sweetheart but I was just hoping to do that as quietly and gracefully as I could with nobody hopefully noticing.

I think we may need some new DVD's. And in the meantime I'm off to watch another thrilling episode of 'The Weakest Link' NOT.ON.YOUR.LIFE....sigh.

"Slingbox, Slingbox, where for art thou Slingbox?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uh oh ... if you need DVDs, I'll ship you some!