Wednesday 21 January 2009

Chickenpox in Da House

As we were getting dressed for school yesterday I thought a rogue mosquito had got into Ellie's room and had a feast on her little body but upon closer inspection with 'bites' in places where even a bionic mosquito couldn't reach it dawned on me she has Chickenpox.

Ellie's reaction...delight!  "I've always wanted Chickenpox Mummy, all my friends have had it and now I have it", she called as she skipped off to the playroom preparing herself for a 'duvet day'.  We're on day 2 now and thankfully it looks like just a mild case, however she didn't quite feel so happy about it at 3am this morning and ended up in our bed and poor Ian had to trudge off to her bed to try and get some more sleep before his early start.

This solves my dilemma...whether to vaccinate or not, UK doctors saying no on the grounds that it is a mild childhood disease and those who are vaccinated are more likely to have severe Shingles in adulthood, Indian doctors saying yes on the basis that cases here can be more severe but mainly for those who are undernourished and in generally poorer health.  I had heard such conflicting advice that I was still pondering on whether to do it or not so now the decision is taken out of my hands.

No comments: