Wednesday 3 December 2008

I Have Legs, I Can Therefore Walk

Madras Club Christmas Tree

Believe it or not, I can! I miss walking. Before India I walked whenever and wherever I could.
Today I decided there was an event I wanted to attend at the Madras Club, which is all of about 500 yards away from our house and so, at Midday I set off down the drive towards the gate. The guards got into a bit of a fluster as I approached, so I explained where and why I was walking. 'Car Madam?' NO.CAR.NEEDED. Comprende?

The Madras Club

They weren't sure and even as I glanced back as I rounded the corner at the top of the road there were two guards standing watching my progress, while shaking their heads. They were probably even more shocked by the fact that probably 5 minutes or so later one of the maids left in the car to run some errands. Hmmmm? Madam walking and Maid being driven - not quite right to them, but for me it was very liberating to walk even just a short distance...on my own, without being watched. I did a little hop, skip and a jump and felt like I'd escaped!

On my return, being the other side of the gate was strange, no-one heard my knocking so just to tease them a little more I made loud BEEP BEEP noises, to which they all came running and found amusing, but only after apologising profusely for the 20 second delay in opening the gate! It's OK, I can live with that, and many other things...including my legs, I found them today and they still work.

No comments: